This is a simple example of how people who stay close to God through regular prayer can hear from Him.
My 88-year-old mother has not been feeling well lately. last week on a particularly bad day, she was feeling fearful and did not want to be alone. since someone cannot always be with her, I prayed that God would take away her fear and give her peace. A few days later when I saw her she told me that the day she felt the sickest and didn't know what to do, she heard a voice inside her saying, "Don't be afraid." She knew beyond a doubt that God was speaking to her. My mother's fears vanished. Even though her physical health was not immediately restored, she was at peace because she knew that God was with her, taking care of her. What an answer to prayer!
Member of Saint Columban Catholic Church
In 2013, St. Columban merged with St. Alan to become Christ Our Light Catholic Church of Birmingham, MI.
It's worth noting that God's voice in this story has the same characteristics as in other stories reported by other people who don't know each other (click the Label "Sound of God's Voice" in the right column for more stories).
- The voice was heard inside one's self, not through the ears. But a voice nonetheless.
- The voice was loving and credible.
- It was definitely a being different than oneself.
- His message was in response to the listener's current need.
- The message was brief, but full of meaning.
- The impact on the listener was to both support the listener and to bring them closer to God.
How WTNESS.ORG found out about this story: Bill Griffin, a regular contributor to WTNESS.ORG, attended St. Columban Church in 1994, and kept a copy of the church bulletin in which this story was published by a fellow parishioner, Kathy Droste.